- Think of an interesting idea or fond memory that would make a great blog.
- Sit down at the computer to write, and spend the next hour on Facebook/Twitter/Reddit.
- Finally open a new blank word document.
- Reward self with another 20 minutes on Facebook.
- Back to the word document. Try to figure out a good lead-in to the blog. Spend 200-300 words meandering through different big words trying to get to the point. Most of this will get cut later.
- Before actually reaching the point, remember that there is funfetti cake mix in the cupboard. Proceed to bake cake.
- While cake is baking, go back to writing. Spend 30 minutes trying to craft the perfect transition sentence to finally get into the meat of the blog.
- Pull cake out of the oven.
- Put on Taylor Swift album to help focus and realize that the transition sentence is still shit, spend the next 15 minutes trying to fix it.
- Dance break when Shake it Off comes on.
- Continue writing, now finally able to dig into what you started out to write.
- Realize 5 minutes later that cake has cooled enough to frost. Proceed to frost cake.
- Bring a slice of cake back to the desk to energize your writing.
- Spend the next 10 minutes writing, only to realize all you’ve done is described the slice of cake you’ve finished.
- Delete cake writing, then go back to that pesky transition because it’s still not right, probably because the first 200-300 words aren’t right either and probably need to be cut.
- Notice the time and realize you need to make dinner/run errands/meet friends. Decide to finish tomorrow without ever writing anything of substance.